Communities and Justice

Post Care Education Financial Support

Young people transitioning to independence from out of home care at the same time they finish school are at risk of not attaining their HSC or equivalent if they need to establish independent accommodation at this time.

The Post Care Education Financial Support is a non-means tested payment aimed at helping young people aged 18 to 25 complete their NSW Higher School Certificate. This payment provides financial support to their carer to maintain the current living and support arrangements.

How to apply

The financial support is paid directly to the carer by their managing agency - either DCJ or a non-government agency. DCJ carers will receive a Post Care Education Financial Support application form in the mail. These carers should complete the application form and return it to DCJ. Carers with a non-government agency will need to apply through their agency. Further information about the application process will be provided to carers by their agency.

Alternatively both DCJ and non-government agency carers can complete the application form, and return it to their agency if they would like to initiate the process.

For more information read our Post Care Education Financial Support FAQ (DOCX, 22.1 KB) and Post Care Education Financial Support Policy (PDF, 262.2 KB).

For detailed information, service providers should refer to the Procedures for non-government agencies - Post Care Education Financial Support (PDF, 121.3 KB).

Download a sample letter to carer with young person 17 years or over in placement (DOCX, 21.0 KB).

Last updated:

01 Mar 2023