Communities and Justice

Post Care Education Financial Support FAQ

How much will carers receive?

The Post Care Education Financial Support allowance is a fortnightly allowance paid at standard Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) rates determined by the young person’s level of support need.

Who is eligible?

To receive Post Care Education Financial Support:

  • the carer must have been receiving a care allowance immediately before the young person reached 18 years of age, and
  • the out-of-home care placement must have ended due to the young person reaching 18 years of age, and
  • the young person must be 18 to 24 years of age and live with the carer, and
  • the young person must be studying full-time to complete Year 12 or equivalent studies.

Eligibility for financial support under this policy does not influence eligibility for continuation of the Teenage Education Payment (TEP) which is assessed separately using the Teenage Education Payment Guidelines.

Carers cannot receive Post Care Education Financial Support payments if they are receiving the Staying on Allowance, or the young person is receiving either the Aftercare Allowance or Independent Living Allowance. Only one of these allowances is payable at a time.

What courses of study are covered?

To be eligible for the payment, the young person in out-of-home care must be enrolled full-time in one of the following:

  • Higher School Certificate (HSC)
  • HSC via school-based apprenticeship or traineeship
  • HSC via Vocational Education and Training (VET) Board Endorsed courses
  • TAFE NSW Certificate IV in Tertiary Preparation
  • International Baccalaureate, diploma level.

Note: full-time study for the purpose of this allowance is 15 hours or more per week and can take place at a high school, TAFE or equivalent setting. Part-time studies may be considered on a case by case basis where a young person has parental responsibilities or health issues that prevent them from undertaking full-time studies.

How do carers apply?

DCJ carers will receive a Post Care Education Financial Support application form in the mail or from their caseworker. These carers should complete the application form and return it to DCJ.

Carers with a non-government agency will need to apply through their agency. Further information about the application process will be provided to carers by their agency.

Back payment may be provided for the previous quarter for carers who were eligible at that time.

Do carers have to provide proof of what they have spent the financial support on?

No. Post Care Education Financial Support is paid to the carer to help cover a young person’s day to day living expenses and carers are not expected to keep receipts or show their agency how the money is spent.

When does the Post Care Education Financial Support stop?

The Post Care Education Financial Support payments stop when the young person:

  • has completed their HSC or equivalent, or
  • stops studying full time, or
  • reaches 25 years of age, or
  • commences to receive the Independent Living Allowance, or
  • moves out of the carer’s home.

What other supports are available for young people completing their education?

The carer may continue to receive Teenage Education Payment (TEP) instalments where these payments were being paid immediately before the young person reached 18 years.

A Staying On Allowance is available to carers who continue to support a young person aged 18 to 20 in their home after leaving care. A carer cannot receive both the Staying on and Post Care Education Financial Support allowances. If eligible for both, Post Care Education Financial Support should be paid as in many circumstances it will be at a higher rate. If the carer subsequently becomes ineligible for Post Care Education Financial Support, e.g., the young person completes their studies, the carer can be transferred to the Staying on Allowance if they still meet the criteria. 

The Independent Living Allowance is available to young care leavers aged 18 to 20 to support them with accommodation needs and other essential needs, and the Aftercare Allowance is available to those aged 21 to 24 who are studying and would otherwise be at risk of homelessness.

How do I get more information?

Read the policy on provision of financial support (PDF, 262.2 KB) to foster and kinship carers of young people 18 years and older completing full-time studies 

Alternatively you can:

Last updated:

01 Mar 2023