Communities and Justice

Additional information for male victim-survivors

Can men experience domestic and family violence?

Domestic and family violence can happen to anyone, including men.

Men do experience domestic and family violence perpetrated by their intimate female or male partner, or family members including:

  • teenage or adult children or stepchildren
  • parents or stepparents
  • siblings or other relatives
  • carers

As with other groups, men can experience different forms of domestic and family violence, including physical, emotional, psychological, financial and sexual violence.  For older men, this may include different forms of elder abuse.

Barriers men face in reporting domestic and family violence

Men often don't report domestic and family violence because they feel confused, embarrassed or think they won't be believed or taken seriously if they report it.

Domestic and family violence challenges socially constructed ideas of what ‘being a man’ is ‘supposed’ to be in our society.

Some groups of men may face additional barriers to reporting, for example Aboriginal men, and LGBTIQ+ men.

What should I do if I feel unsafe?

Everyone should feel safe in their relationships. If you are concerned about violence or abuse in your relationship, there are services available.

If you feel unsafe, the police are there to help you.

If you seek assistance from police and they identify that you may be experiencing domestic and family violence, they will refer you to Safer Pathway.

What is Safer Pathway?

Safer Pathway is a NSW Government program that supports victim-survivors of domestic and family violence across NSW.

Within Safer Pathway, relevant government and non-government agencies work together to identify people experiencing domestic and family violence, and to offer them support to improve their safety.

More information about Safer Pathway.

How can Safer Pathway help me?

Safer Pathway has dedicated specialist workers that support male victim-survivors of domestic and family violence.

Specialist workers will listen to your experience, provide you with information about what help is available and connect you to services and support to help you.

Where can I get more information and support?

More information about men and domestic and family violence.

If you do not feel comfortable reporting to police, there are other ways to get help:

  • Talk to someone you trust, like a friend or family member
  • Talk with a health worker, they can help you to access support
  • You can call the Men’s Helpline on 1300 78 99 78
  • Contact the Victims Access Line at 1800 633 063

If you would like to contact Safer Pathway services directly, please email and you will be connected to your local Safer Pathway support service for men.

Last updated:

06 Oct 2023