Communities and Justice

Remission of fines

Remission (or ‘writing off’) of unpaid fines  

Generally speaking, there are a few ways that a person can have his or her unpaid fines remitted (or ‘written off’). 

Application to Revenue NSW

The Commissioner of Fines Administration has the power, under section 101 of the Fines Act 1996, to ‘write off’ all or part of an unpaid fine. Applications under section 101 of the Fines Act should be made on the application portal on the Revenue NSW website.

Telephone enquiries concerning the ‘write off’ of unpaid fines should be made to Revenue NSW on 1300 138 118.

Royal prerogative of mercy

The Governor of New South Wales also has the power to remit fines through the exercise of the Royal prerogative of mercy. The Attorney General may recommend to the Governor that a person be relived or his or her liability for the payment of outstanding fines. 

Generally, the Attorney General will only consider a petition seeking the exercise of the Royal prerogative in relation to fines once an application has been made and determined by Revenue NSW.

More information is provided on the Royal prerogative of mercy page.

Last updated:

31 Aug 2023