Communities and Justice

SHAF and Youth Transition Housing Request for Tenders FAQs

Request for Grant Tender (RFGT)

What Programs are being tendered?

There are two funding Programs as part of this RFGT process. These are:

Program 1: Social Housing Accelerator Fund

Funding of $19.6 million for financial year 2024/25 is being tendered. The key objective is to deliver social housing. There is no specific target cohort group.

Program 2: Youth Transition Housing Fund

Funding of approximately $11.6 million for the financial year(s) 2024/25 and 2025/26 is being tendered. The key objective is to deliver housing dwellings for young clients in need .

How do the Programs work?

The Programs are based on a co-contribution model where Government funds are combined with CHPs’ contributions of capital, debt, land, tax concessions, philanthropy, etc. to increase housing supply. CHPs also bring their community networks, partnerships and local connections that can support tenants who will eventually live in these properties.

What can the grant be used for?

The Grants must be used only for the social housing proportion of a project. A CHP can enhance the project’s financial viability as well as support integrated communities by including affordable housing (e.g. rental) in a project.

Tenderers must contribute financial resources (equity, debt, land) and may also commit non-financial resources (concession values, and donations) to the project.

Are there particular target groups?

Yes. The Grant fundings are targeting for two groups:

  • Program 1 - General Social Housing – no specific target.
  • Program 2 - Young people – supporting youth housing initiatives.

How much funding can we apply for?

Grant funding limits are set between $500,000 and $5,000,000 per CHP to encourage a range of CHPs to apply. DCJ reserves the right to vary the limits up or down on a case-by-case basis.

Who owns the property?

The CHP will own the property and will be responsible for all expenses – including, but not limited to responsive and planned maintenance, structural works, insurance, rates, etc.

DCJ will register an Interest on the title (See Properties and Land section) with any future dealings to be agreed by DCJ. You should get independent legal advice to check if there are any impediments to DCJ registering an Interest on land your organisation owns.

How many projects can we bid for?

A Tenderer can submit a maximum of two project proposals per application, one for each scheme listed above which can only total $5,000,000 per application.


Who can apply for funding through the RFT?

All Community Housing Providers registered in NSW or Aboriginal Community Housing Providers registered under the NSW PARS can apply in line with the Community Housing Providers (Adoption of National Law) Act 2012.

Tier 3 CHP’s are encouraged to apply and must demonstrate experience or have the capacity to manage and deliver construction / acquisition at the required scale. DCJ wishes to encourage Aboriginal led delivery of community housing projects as per Clause 44 of the National Agreement on Closing the Gap.

We are thinking about or are in the process of community housing registration. Can we still apply?

Yes, and you will need to provide the following information:

  • any registration or compliance assessment reports from other related regulatory systems (e.g., Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission, PARS Aboriginal CHP registration);
  • a Registration Plan on the proposed approach to obtain registration as a CHP under the NRSCH prior to the date the last party signs the Community Housing Assistance Agreement; and
  • A timeline as part of the Registration Plan nominating any steps already taken towards CHP registration.

Funds will only be released to registered CHP at the time of signing a Community Housing Assistance Agreement.

Can we form a partnership or consortium with other organisations?

Yes. Partnership details will be required in the tender and in the Community Housing Assistance Agreement that will be put in place with successful Tenderers. 


What is a Community Housing Assistance Agreement?

A Community Housing Assistance Agreement (CHAA) is the standard contract used by DCJ and a CHP for programs such as this. It is not subject to amendment unless there are specific and valid reasons. A CHAA template can requested by emailing the Homes NSW - Contract Unit at

Properties and land

Do assets need to be owned or is a long-term lease possible?

The assets need to be owned by the CHP. A key driver of the funding model is to maximise the CHP’s financial contribution to deliver housing now and in the future as well as increase CHP’s ownership of capital stock. A CHP is unlikely to be able to borrow funds and/or build on land owned by another entity.

Can we sell or re-develop the properties in the future?

Yes. If the CHP decides to sell or re-develop, i.e. to deal with a property, it must advise DCJ and seek approval. DCJ cannot unreasonably withhold consent.

The CHAA says ‘DCJ will register an interest on the title of Funded Property”. What does this mean?

In brief, to protect the Government’s investment in the property, a reference is made to DCJ’s interest on the title of the property. This means that the CHP must consult with DCJ if it wants to deal in the property. A dealing could be selling it, taking out a mortgage, redeveloping it.

This operates as a gateway consent provision (that is - it is neither a mortgage nor a caveat) and the Housing Agency cannot unreasonably withhold consent – as set out in section 18.2 of the Community Housing Providers (Adoption of National Law) Act 2012.

Effectively this means a notation is put on the relevant title which simply states:

“Land is held subject to the provisions of section 18 Community Housing Providers (Adoption of National Law) Act 2012. Consent of the Secretary of the Department of Communities and Justice is required for plans and dealings inconsistent with the interests of the Secretary of the Department of Communities and Justice."

Tenderers are strongly encouraged to seek their own legal advice to check if there are any impediments to DCJ registering an Interest on land your organisation owns.

Funding and Finances

How will the grant be paid?

A grant will be paid in a lump sum following an agreed timeline.

How are the respective contributions to the projects reflected in the contract?

The contributions to the project value are reflected as a percentage in the contract:

  • DCJ Contribution: The Grant at X% (% of the total project value)
  • CHP Contribution: Including land, debit, equity and other financial resources at Y% (% of the total project value)

How are CHPs’ contribution defined?

The following items contribute to the CHP’s ownership percentage of the project.

Equity Cash

Land value

The land must be owned by the CHP at the time of submitting a response to RTF


Actual or potential loan

Tax concessions

If the CHP is a charity, it may be eligible for tax concessions, reductions in council fees, etc.

Philanthropic resources donations

Includes pro-bono legal, architect, developer fees that the CHP would have paid for but have been donated. Accurate and realistic costing are required.

Tenderers are strongly encouraged to investigate their eligibility for tax concessions.

Is funding available for operational costs?

No. DCJ funding can only be used for the acquisition and/or development of social housing dwellings proposed under the project.

Can we add a property to a previously DCJ funded capital project?

Funds from this tender process may be granted if they are adding extra properties to the existing site. Funds cannot be used to fund additional costs for an existing project. The tender will ask you to explain/ justify how the additional funds will work to provide additional social housing on an existing capital project site

Responding to Requests for Grant Tender (RFGT)

When does the RFGT start?

The RFGT will commence with an Industry Briefing on the 15th of May 2024. The tender will be opened on the 20th of May 2024 and run for around 20 business days. DCJ will be advertising the tender as widely as possible to allow people to register for the Industry Briefing.

What is an Industry Briefing?

An Industry Briefing provides information on the tenders and allows participants to ask general questions. Specific questions about a particular project idea will not be answered. These types of questions can be lodged in the data room for a response from DCJ.

Can I ask DCJ any questions during the advance notice period?

No, due to probity limitations, DCJ will not respond to any questions relating to the details of responding to the RFT until the RFT is opened in on 20th of May 2024. This FAQ is intended to answer as many questions as possible. However, you may send questions to which will be collated and used to inform the Industry Briefing if needed.

What is a data room?

A data room is an on-line secure location where tender documentation will be placed, questions of a general or specific nature can be asked and answered, and where all final tenders are lodged. You will be given access via a registration process in May 2024.

Where can I find more information about the Social Housing Accelerator Fund? 

More information about Social Housing Accelerator Fund can be found here.

Last updated:

07 May 2024