Communities and Justice

Applying for the NDIS – Access Request

Where can I get an access request form?

Access Request Forms can only be provided by the NDIA. You can download an access request form from the NDIS website or by calling the NDIA on 1800 800 110. The access request form is generated with a specific identification number used to track a participant’s NDIS journey. This targeted approach means the NDIA will not provide forms in bulk, but only in response to details about a specific prospective participant.

The access request form provides the NDIA with the information they need to work out whether a person can become an NDIS participant. It also tells the person how their information will be used and stored and provides information about the NDIA's privacy policy.

Completing an access request form

An access request form must be completed to become an NDIS participant. Where the applicant is under 18 years, the consent section of the form can only be completed by the child representative.

Early intervention providers and DCJ child protection caseworkers may be asked to help their client’s family apply to access the NDIS. NDIS LACs can also help to link people to the NDIS.

For further information about completing the access request form, go to Completing your Access Request.

What evidence should I provide with the access request form?

Prospective participants must provide the NDIA with evidence of the diagnosis of disability or developmental delay from a treating doctor, specialist, or health professional (this includes physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, psychologists or nurses).

The NDIA need to know what the child or young person’s disability or developmental delay is, how long it will last and the impact on the child or young person’s life. Be as specific and detailed as you can be.

DCJ child protection and OOHC caseworkers may want to utilise their local DCJ psychologist, or the Engagement and Family Support team, to review access request forms prior to lodging them with the NDIA to ensure that the child or young person’s disability and evidence is accurately described for the NDIA to make an appropriate decision about funding supports.

For information about what evidence to include in an access request form, see: Evidence of your disability

What if the child or young person is not eligible for the NDIS but requires additional support?

NDIS LACs can help link people who are not eligible for the NDIS to information and supports in their local communities. For more information, visit: Support for people who are not eligible.

If you believe that an access decision is wrong, review the letter that came from the NDIA to find the reason the person was not eligible. It may be that a new access request can be submitted after gathering additional evidence.

What if a child or young person entering care already has an NDIS plan?

Some children and young people who enter care may already be receiving NDIS supports. Where possible, determine what supports and services they have previously accessed by talking to the parents or whoever was caring for them. If they had a support coordinator funded as part of their NDIS plan, this will be a critical person to speak with to gain information about the contents of the plan and expenditure to date.

OOHC caseworkers will be responsible for notifying the NDIA about the child or young person’s change of circumstances (entry into OOHC). This can be done by providing the NDIA with full details of the assigned caseworker ie. full name, office address and contact details (generally they are happy to take this from the signature block if all details are there) along with the court orders to At the same time you can ask questions like whether a support coordinator has been involved (and get their contact details) and also seek a copy of the current NDIS plan.

The child or young person may require a review of their NDIS plan after coming into care to ensure that their disability support needs are met in their current placement.

Refer to Plan Preparation and Plan Process for things to consider in determining the child or young person’s support needs. The OOHC caseworker will need to discuss the plan reassessment with the NDIA (and the child’s support coordinator if they have one), as part of the child representative responsibilities.

The OOHC caseworker should make sure that they are formally identified as the child’s representative by the NDIA, and that parent/carer’s electronic access to the NDIA portal has been removed. Note: OOHC caseworkers must also notify the NDIA each time there is a change of casework staff for a child in OOHC and provide them with the new contact details. 

DCJ staff may also consider seeking advice from a DCJ representative and NGO staff may look to utilise their own similar resources or seek help from external providers. If the plan does not appear to meet the child or young person’s support needs, refer to Monitor and Review Plan for information about requesting a reassessment of a plan.

What if I have a question or need more information or clarification?

If you encounter a situation with the NDIS that differs from these guidelines and needs clarification, speak to your manager to determine whether the matter needs to be raised with the NDIA locally, or speak to your local DCJ representative.

Last updated:

16 Dec 2022