Communities and Justice

Guardianship Information Line

How can we help?

The Guardianship Information Lines provides information about guardianship for children in out-of-home care.

Who can contact us?

We answer questions from carers, young people, parents, family members, people who are interested in becoming guardians, and practitioners.

What are our contact details?

You can call us on 1300 956 416 or email us at

Where can I find more information about guardianship?

You can find out more about guardianship on the Guardianship page.

Do you need to call a different line?

If you have a question about guardianship which is not related to a child in out-of-home care, you will need to call a different line:

  • For guardianship for adults who are not capable of making their own decisions, call the NCAT Guardianship Division on 1300 006 228.
  • For guardianship for children who are not in out-of-home care, call the Family Law Court of Australia on 1300 352 000.
  • For legal advice, which may be free for people on low incomes, call Legal Aid New South Wales on 1300 888 529.
Last updated:

18 Apr 2024