Every child deserves a stable, safe and nurturing home permanently

There are many reasons why giving a child a safe, secure and nurturing home is beneficial. It provides stability, security and a sense of belonging and identity. It can increase positive outcomes for children in care.

Permanency can be achieved through returning the child or young person to family or kin (restoration), guardianship or open adoption.

We need more permanent homes for children in out-of-home care (OOHC). 

What is foster care?

The My Forever Family NSW program will provide support throughout the process to become kinship carer, foster carer, guardian or adoptive parent. 

I’m interested in starting my caring journey

You can start your foster care journey with a short or long-term vision.
Speak with a team member at My Forever Family NSW to ask about your foster caring journey.

What support is available to foster carers?

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children

Aboriginal children and young people in care need more Aboriginal kinship and foster carers in NSW.

The general order of placement aims to ensure that, where possible, children and young people are placed within their family, in their community and stay connected with their Aboriginal culture. 

Aboriginal Community-Controlled Organisations (ACCOs) can assist you in your fostering journey and support you along the way. 

Get in touch with an Aboriginal organisation directly to find out more.

I'm currently a foster carer

Are you currently an authorised foster carer?

If it’s in the best interest for the child, a foster carer may apply to become a guardian or adoptive parent.

Guardianship or open adoption means being able to look after that child now and into the future independently. Carer readiness includes supporting that child remain connected with their birth family and culture as well continuing to support their physical and emotional development. 

Ask your caseworker about the right options for the child in your care.

To learn more, authorised carers can access permanency training through My Forever Family NSW.

Guardianship and open adoption

When it is not possible for a child to live safely with their biological parents, guardianship and open adoption can be considered for that child or young person if it's in their best interest.


When suitable for a child in out-of-home care and you are their carer, you could apply to become their guardian.

Open adoption

When suitable for a child in out-of-home care, the foster carer may be able to apply for open adoption. You can be dually authorised as a foster carer and prospective adoptive parent. 

Who is My Forever Family NSW?

My Forever Family NSW is a government-funded program operated by Adopt Change, designed to recruit, support, train and advocate for foster and kinship carers, guardians and adoptive parents in the out-of-home care sector across the state of NSW.
My Forever Family NSW are the first point of contact for potential carers and guardians, providing them with information about fostering, permanent care and adoption.

To find out more, visit the My Forever Family NSW webpage.

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
This field is required
Please don't include personal or financial information here
This field is required
Please don't include personal or financial information here

We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the First Nations Peoples of NSW and pay our respects to Elders past, present, and future. 

Informed by lessons of the past, Department of Communities and Justice is improving how we work with Aboriginal people and communities. We listen and learn from the knowledge, strength and resilience of Stolen Generations Survivors, Aboriginal Elders and Aboriginal communities.

You can access our apology to the Stolen Generations.

Top Return to top of page Top