Communities and Justice

Calling police for help

Should I call the police about an emergency?

Ask yourself:

1. Is it happening now?

2. Am I afraid it's about to happen?

3. Is it a threat to my life?

If you answer YES to any of these questions, call triple zero 000 and ask for police.

If you are speech or hearing impaired, call the National Relay Service on 133 677.

Always call triple zero 000 if you fear for your safety or you've been assaulted. 

What do I need to tell police?

When you call 000, the operator will ask you questions that will help police know how to respond to your situation, for example:

  • what is your address or location?
  • what is the type of housing, such as house or unit, which level?
  • what is happening to you now?
  • do you know if there are any firearms (guns, rifles) in the home or kept in the home?
  • where is the offender now? Is he still there?
  • what is your relationship to this person?
  • are there any kids there? Where are they?
  • has any alcohol or drugs been consumed?
  • does anyone have a medical or psychiatric history?
  • is there an AVO in place?

You don’t have to have all the answers to these questions when you call police.

It's not urgent but I need advice or help

You can call police on the non-emergency phone line 131 444. Or visit your local police station and speak to a general duties police officer or the Domestic Violence Liaison Officer (DVLO).

Domestic Violence Liaison Officers

NSW Police has more than 100 Domestic Violence Liaison Officers (DVLO) who are police officers specifically trained in dealing with domestic and family violence issues. DVLOs can: 

  • provide information about the Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) process
  • support victims of domestic and family violence through the court process 
  • assist victims to access other relevant local support services.

DVLOs are located in most police stations in NSW. To contact a DVLO in your area please contact your local police station.

Aboriginal Community Liaison Officers

The Aboriginal Community Liaison Officer (ACLO) has responsibility for providing advice and support to police in management of Aboriginal issues.

ACLO's can be found at the following police stations: Albury, Armidale, Batemans Bay, Bathurst, Bourke, Brewarrina, Broken Hill, Campbelltown, Coffs Harbour, Condobolin, Dareton, Denilliquin, Dubbo, Glebe, Gilgandra, Grafton, Griffith, Inverell, Kempsey, Lake Illawarra, Lake Macquarie, Lismore, Macquarie Fields, Maroubra, Marrickville, Moree, Mt Druitt, Nambucca Heads, Nowra, Orange, Redfern, Raymond Terrace, Tamworth, Taree, Tweed Heads, Walgett, Wagga Wagga, Wellington, Wilcannia.

Gay and Lesbian Liaison Officers

If you're LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning, intersex, asexual), Gay and Lesbian Liaison Officers (GLLO) are specially trained to address LGBTQIA+ issues and have served communities for more than 25 years.

Where else can I get help?

If it's not urgent and you need to talk to someone about domestic and family violence, call the NSW Domestic Violence Line or the national 1800RESPECT helpline. Both are open 24 hours 7 days a week. 

Domestic Violence Line 
1800 65 64 63

The Domestic Violence Line is a 24 hour state-wide telephone counselling service which provides crisis counselling and referral pathways for women and can be contacted on 1800 656 463.

1800 737 732

1800RESPECT is a 24 hour national sexual assault, family and domestic violence counselling line for any person who has experienced, or is at risk of, family and domestic violence and/or sexual assault.

What if the violence is happening to someone else?

If you know someone who is a victim or you suspect is a victim, such as a neighbour, friend, relative or stranger, and they are in need of urgent assistance, you can call triple zero 000 and remain anonymous.

You do not have to provide your name when reporting an incident that is occurring, or that you suspect is occurring.

If urgent assistance is not needed then you can call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 and report your concerns.

(Source: NSW Police Force)

Last updated:

31 Aug 2022